Thursday, April 9, 2020

Keep On Keepin' On

This won't come as a surprise to any of you, but I'm still working on my scrubbies.

However, I finally found something new that helps this make a lot more sense to me.

One of my crochet pals, Clarissa (who, you might remember, attended Fiber Space with me) loaned me a book and I finally sat down today to look at it.

Turns out, it was really helpful in understanding how to crochet in the round.


One of the things I have learned in this process (and hope my students have, too) is how I learn best. I thought it was videos when I first started, and they have been helpful, but something about the way this was written made a lot of sense to me. I actually started thinking about this in a mathematical way (which you KNOW is not my strong suit), but that helps me keep track in my counting. 


Now: no, I'm not particularly proud of this. No, it's not finished. Yes, it's starting to look a little hexagonal and it's not supposed to, and yes, my ultimate goal is to add another type of yarn in with this, but that yarn is incredibly difficult to work with. BUT. It's a start and it actually DOES make sense to me now where it did not before.

An update on my hotpads: I have a lot of those in various stages of "done-ness," but I'm out of yarn and I'm not sure how to get more! I originally bought my yarn at Hobby Lobby and need matching skeins to finish, but I can't find them to order on the HL website. I haven't found them at amazon either, or the actual brand website, so I'm not sure what to do! Once we can go back out, I'll be able to get the rest and it won't take long to finish them, but for now, I have to work on the scrubbies and other projects that use this grittier "yarn" (the word "yarn" isn't even correct because it doesn't feel like wool or cotton and is not suitable for every project. I wouldn't use it to make handwarmers, for instance). 

Tell me what's going on with your projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment