Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Fiber Space Recap and Picture OVERLOAD


Let's discuss Fiber Space! 

Fiber Space was the retreat I attended this past weekend to work on my crochet skills. It is held every year in January and February at Heartland Farm. Crocheters, knitters, spinners and weavers all come together and retreat to work on their craft. There are beginners as well as some very talented people who have been crocheting, knitting, spinning or weaving for quite some time. Here we are going over the schedule for the retreat.


Once we got all of the introductions and housekeeping items taken care of, we went off to separate areas of the strawbale building to work. Sr. Imelda had a pattern for handwarmers (which, by the way, sell in the gift shop for $30), and it looked like something I could accomplish. This pattern utilizes a half double crochet, and that is a stitch I wanted to work on, so I decided to make these.


One of the issues I was having with the half-double crochet was getting a wedge-shaped product (which I wrote about here). I knew this had something to do with the way I was finishing my rows, but I wasn't sure what. I was able to get this figured out at this retreat. (Answer: chain two at each end.) Here is my FIRST handwarmer!


This was a little big, and I ended up ripping two rows out of it later. I could acutally probably rip out one more. But, as you can see, my edges are pretty straight and NOT in a wedge, so I am fairly pleased with these. 


I finished my other one at home, and there are some problems, as you can see. One is longer than the other, one is looser than the other, and even though these are made out of the same yarn skein, they don't look like they even match due to the variegation of the yarn! But! They're mine and I made them and I love them I guess. I still might take a row out of the one that's a little too big yet. These were very simple and something I could make easily for a gift.

I also worked on my double crochet and made this: 


It's just a dishrag, I guess. It's cotton yarn, so it should be fine for that. I learned that double crochet is not great for pot holders because it's a looser stitch and too "holey" for grabbing something hot. 

One thing I really wanted to master was a circle. It didn't go very well. My circles just end up looking like big knotted blobs. I worked on it some at home, after the retreat, using a video tutorial for a magic circle. 


I definitely need some more practice on this! I don't think it's supposed to come up into a bowl like that. It should lay flat. But I want to master this because I want to be able to make hats and scrubbies. I will need to buy some yarn that is suitable to scrubbies. 

Even though this retreat ate up a large bit of my weekend (and kept me from attending one of my kids' sporting events), I'm REALLY glad I went. I learned a lot, and crocheting is very relaxing to me, even the stuff that's hard that I haven't mastered yet. I met some very nice people, too. I realize not everyone has an opportunity like this for his/her given project, but if you do ever have a chance to take a class or get some dedicated time to work on your project with others doing the same, DO IT! You won't regret it. Here are some more pictures of our weekend.


The start of my handwarmer.                          Patty, across the table from me, has never crocheted.                                                                              She came with her daughter in law, who crochets a lot.


 
    My friend, Clarissa, attended this retreat       The silo is my favorite spot on the farm.
    with me.                                                          If it had been nicer out, I would have crocheted in                                                                                    there!


Sr. Imelda was in charge of helping the crocheters.
I don't think there's anything she CAN'T teach you to do!

One last thing: you might remember that I was waffling between learning to crochet or knit when we first started this process. One of the expert crocheters at the retreat asked me if I knew how to knit, because apparently I hold my crochet hook more like you would a knitting needle. Sr. Imelda suggested a few times, "why don't you try it like this?" but I just couldn't do it! I taught myself my own hook hold and it works for me, but it was definitely weird to everyone else! 

1 comment:

  1. I think that it is amazing that you were able to attend this. I know it may have been a little hard missing a sporting event but there are more of those to come. I think you have improved a lot and should try making a blanket or a hat when get comfortable with it. I think it is great you are doing more then just pot holders. I am proud on how far you have come. I enjoy seeing you improving its not everyday your teacher does something like this with their students and I find it awesome that you are. I plan on seeing what else you have up your sleeve.

    ReplyDelete